‘This is not over’: Harris warns Supreme Court may target gay marriage, contraception next
Kamala Harris says abortion ruling calls into query different rights
After the Supreme Court docket overturned Roe v. Wade, Vice President Kamala Harris stated different freedoms, like contraception, is also at stake.
Ariana Triggs, USA TODAY
- “I believe he simply stated the quiet half out loud,” Harris stated of Justice Clarence Thomas.
- Harris stated the Supreme Court docket took a proper “from the ladies of America.”
- Harris stated the Biden administration desires to make sure ladies can journey freely to different states for abortion entry.
WASHINGTON — Vice President Kamala Harris warned Monday that other established rights such as same-sex marriage and entry to contraception might come underneath assault from the Supreme Court docket subsequent following the high court’s decision Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade.
“I positively consider this isn’t over,” Harris stated in an interview on CNN, responding to a concurring opinion by conservative Associate Justice Clarence Thomas, who wrote the courtroom ought to “rethink” different “demonstrably faulty choices” involving the due course of clause.
“I suppose he simply stated the quiet half out loud,” Harris stated. “And I believe that’s the reason all of us should actually perceive the importance of what simply occurred. That is profound.”
Thomas singled out Griswold v. Connecticut, the 1965 Supreme Court docket opinion that invalidated a regulation that forbid contraception based mostly on a proper to privateness; the 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges case that legalized same-sex marriage nationally; and the 2013 Lawrence v. Texas ruling that invalidated state prohibitions on sodomy.
The most recent:
- Harris, talking to CNN’s Dana Bash, was giving her first interview within the wake of a watershed Supreme Court docket ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Ladies’s Well being Group that held People not have a constitutional proper to abortion.
- 13 states have so-called set off legal guidelines that may go into impact banning abortion in practically all situations and solely generally providing exceptions for rape and incest. Different states within the South and Midwest are additionally curbing abortion rights.
- Because the nation’s first feminine vice chairman, Harris has become Democrats’ top voice on abortion rights as they give the impression of being to make it a difficulty within the November midterm elections.
‘I by no means believed them’: Different key components from Harris’ interview:
- Harris stated she was “shocked” when she discovered of the Supreme Court docket’s resolution to overturn Roe. Mockingly, the vice chairman was on Air Pressure Two on the way in which to debate maternal well being when the information broke. “It is one factor when you understand one thing’s going to occur. It is one other factor when it really occurs,” Harris stated. ” I could not consider it as a result of they really did it.”
- Sens. Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., have accused Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch of deceptive them throughout affirmation hearings by assuring the senators they believed Roe was settled regulation. “I by no means believed them,” Harris, who was a senator on the time, stated of the justices. “That’s why I voted towards them.”
- Harris stated the courtroom “took a constitutional proper that has been acknowledged for a half-century and took it from the ladies of America.” Harris referenced the 23-year-old daughter of second gentleman Doug Emhoff, including she “won’t know the rights” of her mother-in-law who’s in her 80s.
- Harris expressed dismay that some states might ban abortions even within the case of rape and incest: “The concept after a girl has endured such violence to her physique, that she wouldn’t have the liberty and authority to resolve whether or not she needed to proceed with a being pregnant that may be a end result off an act of violence, is totally unthinkable.”
- Harris stated the White Home will do “every thing inside our energy” to make sure ladies have entry to remedy they want, echoing what President Joe Biden has said. Harris stated that features that girls have “freedom of journey” to different states to hunt an abortion and serving to ladies who lack the monetary sources for journey.
- Harris stated the administration will not be at present having discussions about looking for to supply abortions on federal land in states which have banned abortions.
Why it issues
Harris’s remarks function a warning for Democrats that different rights, not simply abortion rights, are on the poll this November.
Biden and Democrats have urged pro-abortion rights voters upset about final week’s Supreme Court docket resolution to elect extra senators and members of Congress who will vote to codify a constitutional proper to abortion. The push comes as Democrats face robust headwinds to carry on to energy of Congress in the course of the November elections amid rising inflation.
Proper now, Democrats merely lack the votes to codify Roe. The Senate voted down doing so 49-51 in Might.
Harris’ message: The stakes are a lot greater than even Roe.
Need to know extra? Here is what you missed
Attain Joey Garrison on Twitter @joeygarrison.